[FOSS-GPS] Hello. New member here.

Bill Maidment bill at maidment.me
Sun Jul 2 21:35:36 PDT 2017

Thanks everyone who has responded, for the warm welcome and interesting comments.

I have certain constraints which have led me to choosing the equipment and software for my project:
1. Cost - Total equipment budget was AU$1200 - which has now been spent.
2. Field Conditions - Rugged terrain, no power supply, no internet access and probably no mobile phone signal.

The Raspberry Pi machines are powered from USB recharge batteries (5.1v 20,000 maH), which so far have been very long lasting between recharges.
RTC modules will be installed to capture an accurate NTP time before setting out from home and provide a reasonably accurate time on boot up in the field. I'm still trying to understand how the system time affects RTKLIB.
The RaspiGNSS modules were chosen because they simply plug in to Raspberry Pi and fit into the standard case with very little "reconfiguration". Dual frequency modules would have been nice, but were unaffordable.

The rover Pi runs an SQL database and web site to capture and display the results and runs as a wireless AP so that a mobile phone with a web browser can be used to control saving fixes to the database, etc. All this on a private wireless sub-net.
On return to home, the SQL data is downloaded to the master database for the mapping processes. OpenStreetMap has not yet been considered, but may be beyond the scope of the project.

I have tried RTKLIB 2.4.3b28 but was concerned about a few bugs which still need to be fixed. However, I am currently testing 2.4.2p12 with some 2.4.3 nvs fixes backported.
I must admit that much of the terminology in RTKLIB is beyond my knowledge, which makes configuration choices a bit hit-and-miss. Does anyone know of any helpful documentation for this technology?

Well, I've taken up enough of your time, so I'll leave it at that. Time for a glass of Shiraz.

Cheers
Bill