[FOSS4G-Oceania-discuss] Indigenous community?

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 18:55:25 PDT 2018

Hi David

Seconding John, and hopefully not to late - yes please! We have so far
struggled to know where to reach, and we would love to hear stories from
indigenous communities using open source geospatial tools; so we’d love to
have people come and present.

…and if not present, attend and learn about how the open source geospatial
ecosystem works - a lot can be achieved for very little financial cost
using open source tools! Also, since people can jump in and help shape how
the tools are built, it’s a great way to build tools which look at
geospatial problems through an indigenous lens.

Hope that makes sense,

Adam

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 12:57, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David, thanks for asking that question. Best of intentions, and we have
> made some initial contacts, but we're certainly very interested in building
> further relationships here. I very much hope we will have indigenous
> attendees from across the region, and it would be wonderful to have
> presentation submissions from indigenous people & communities. It's
> definitely on my mind as something we want to make more progress on.
>
> We'd be most pleased if you would talk up the conf with the organisations
> you're meeting with, and potentially put us in touch. One thing you could
> mention is that we're currently working on a modest Travel Grant Program,
> which could potentially help with funding for attendees, where that would
> make a difference. Also, we'll be running a Birds of a Feather program,
> where like-minded groups of people self-organise around certain topics &
> areas of interest - if there's enough interest, an indigenous mapping group
> could coalesce around this idea. There may be other possibilities - we're
> open to suggestions.
>
> There is a fascinating-looking conference on indigenous mapping coming up
> in New Zealand - would love to see our conference provide some means of
> continuing the discussion that happens there. (2018 INDIGENOUS MAPPING
> WAANANGA: http://imw.nz/)
>
> In any case - thanks again for asking that, we really appreciate your
> offer of help!
>
> Cheers
> John

Adam Steer