[FOSS4G-Oceania] Childcare at FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 04:36:05 PDT 2018

I agree with option 3. Provide an environment where we are accepting of
people's family environments. Make small concessions where is it easy to
do so. Something like: Kids attend for free. We hope they will be on
good behaviour, but accept they kids are unpredictable and that parents
might need to move them out of a session if the kid become distracting.
We can facilitate discussions between parents who want to cover for each
other. Lets not over think or over-architect this. I'd also say that we
are going for a low budget conference, and I don't think we should
priortise expensive childcare (option 1) over say travel grants.

On 16/7/18 2:28 pm, Martin Tomko wrote:

> HI,
>
> I think No 3 is absolutely ok, and perfectly reasonable, and
> encouraged. BTW< if yours want a play buddy, my daughter is 9.5 ( she
> will be at school, but could bring her over on Fri. Maybe we could do
> some scratch coding for them?).
>
> No 1 and 2 are more difficult. What about just supporting those that
> would come with children with some co-contribution for a sitter, but
> not organising this as “us – I really do not know what the legal
> ramifications are.
>
> If we are getting quotes form somewhere, fine, let’s see, for No2.
>
> M.
>
> *From: *FOSS4G-Oceania <foss4g-oceania-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on
> behalf of adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Monday, 16 July 2018 at 2:18 pm
> *To: *"foss4g-oceania-discuss at lists.osgeo.org"
> <foss4g-oceania-discuss at lists.osgeo.org>,
> "foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org" <foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org>
> *Subject: *[FOSS4G-Oceania] Childcare at FOSS4G SotM Oceania
>
> Hi all
>
> We need to assess interest in childcare assistance at FOSS4G SotM
> Oceania. A few models are possible:
>
> - full time care (needs $$), which might suit parents of small humans
> who need to be dropped off for the day (or two) so that parents can
> conference like a boss
>
> - part-time care (also needs $$), for parents who want to drop little
> humans off for, say, a morning session
>
> - child-friendliness (less $$), means that that big humans are
> tolerant of little humans being in sessions, being breastfed, being
> around. It also means that big humans who bring little humans need to
> be respectful of the conference in general, ie exit sessions as needed
> to help everyone else enjoy the conference (this is the likely model I
> will use, since my small humans will be 8 and 9.5) and respect the
> limits of their small humans’ endurance for being stuck in conference
> sessions.
>
> Things to consider:
>
> - legal issues. If we organise childcare, it will likely need to be
> done by paying a provider. That covers us all for any legal issues.
>
> - cost issues. Doing the above is expensive. We’ve got some quotes,
> but need to refine interest in using childcare and get better quotes!
>
> - general support. Are we happy as a unit to pause talks etc briefly
> to let parents escape if need be? Are we able as a group to look out
> for, and be tolerant of, small humans as we get around?
>
> Is that a reasonable set of stuff to discuss? Happy to hear your thoughts
>
> Adam
>
> --
>
> Adam Steer
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer