[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: student/volunteer pricing

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:49:07 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Bringing this into the committee for discussion. A few weeks ago it was
suggested that student volunteers won't be able to afford the pricing @
$200... so need to perhaps revisit this.

John

From: Martin Tomko <tomkom at unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 11:52
Subject: Re: student/volunteer pricing
To: Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com>, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com>
Cc: Sarah Goodwin <sarah.goodwin at monash.edu>, Philip Mallis <
philip at philipmallis.com>

John, all,

I agree volunteers are a workforce here, and the least we can do is to get
them in for free.

That said, we should – if we want to be cautious – make sure we only seek
as many volunteers as we really need ( and this can be relaxed later, if we
are faring very well with rebgistrations).

So, how many. FTE do we need? I can think of: registration desk for 4 days,
1x person per each parallel session (microphones, etc), and maybe a spare 1
for swaps, and 2 people to run around on the workshop/codesprint day? Is
that then 4+3*2+2+2*2=16 FTE? So avg 4 people per day, more on main
conference days. Is this too many?

What are the costs/loses from volunteers? We should provide them with
catering, but maybe no swag ( but possibly a T-shirt) – so a cost of about
$1500 at a guesstimate. Can we see whether we can pad this if our
sponsoring goes particularly well?

M.