[FOSS4G-Oceania] Plenary Panel Session

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 03:47:41 PDT 2018

…yup, strong feeling: we speakers, chairs, panelists and plenaries should
commit to the event.

It’s a conference for the community who care enough to turn up in my view.
We should give platforms to people who commit to being there.

Simple ‘user story’, putting aside the community thing: attendee sees talk,
thinks 'wow that’s really awesome’, tries to connect with speaker for f2f
discussion afterward to find speaker is gone. Attendee thinks ‘well, that
kind of sucks’. *especially* if attendee has seen program and decided to
invest to see a specific stream and target specific speakers.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 at 20:03, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 from me for suggested panel topic.
>
> Adam raises an interesting point, ie. whether a panel chair should be
> someone already committed to the conference. Alternatively, could extend
> the same offer to a non-attending panel chair as we do to non-attending
> speakers, ie. you can attend the session you're contributing to, and the
> networking session immediately following.
>
> Any strong feelings on this from the committee?

Adam Steer
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236