[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: shift presentation deadline by 4 days

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 01:06:15 PDT 2018

Can we call it an extension,  announced just on the day,  so to not have to make another extension?  People always count on that :)
M.

On 30 Jul. 2018 5:59 pm, Sarah Goodwin <sarah.goodwin at monash.edu> wrote:
This sounds sensible to me! Good spot!

On Mon., 30 Jul. 2018, 17:42 John Bryant, <johnwbryant at gmail.com<mailto:johnwbryant at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

I realised a couple of days ago that this year's global FOSS4G 2018<https://2018.foss4g.org> ends on 31 August, followed by a couple of days of code sprints & community events. Our presentation submission deadline (not the workshop deadline, which is tomorrow) is on 31 Aug.

It occurred to me that this isn't quite ideal for a couple of reasons. First, some potential presenters from our region may be in attendance at FOSS4G, and our deadline comes at a time when they'll be busy & distracted. Second, there will be great content coming out of FOSS4G to inspire potential presenters, and it would be nice to take advantage of this inspiration.

So, I propose:

  *   We shift our presentation deadline from 31 Aug (Fri) to 4 Sep (Tues)
  *   We begin our community vote on 5 Sep instead of 1 Sep, compressing the voting period from 14 days to 10 days

This will also give people the advantage of having a weekend right before the deadline to work on submissions.

Thoughts?