[FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G Workshops and OSGeo-Live

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:13:35 PDT 2018

My opinion is that we should go for participants bringing their own laptop.
This is the norm that I've experienced in the last few years, and
personally I'd prefer to use my own computer when attending a workshop. The
two workshops I attended recently at FOSS4G-NA worked well with
instructions sent to participants ahead of time. However, I suspect this
works better in advanced workshops where participants are likely more
savvy/experienced and can troubleshoot installation problems.

Last year at an R workshop, I did run into installation problems on the day
of the workshop, and OSGeo-LIVE came in very handy.

Perhaps we encourage workshop presenters to consider how the OSGeo-LIVE
distro could help mitigate the installation problem, and communicate to
their participants accordingly.

I'd also be in favour of promoting the distro more generally to conf
attendees.

Cheers
John