[FOSS4G-Oceania] Conference Presenters and their Attendance

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:19:18 PDT 2018

Hi Jonah

For all the conferences I've attended, presenters have been discounted too.
But this is not the tradition in the FOSS4G space, for example, the Dar Es
Salaam conference has early bird discounts, but no others:
https://2018.foss4g.or.tz/EventManagement/public/e/1/foss4g-2018-dar-es-salaam

Regarding your suggestion in the wording, you're probably right that it
needs tweaking.

Cheers,

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 at 09:16 Jonah Sullivan <jonahsullivan79 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think every conference I've presented at (a couple every year) has had
> reduced price tickets for presenters.
>
> I've also always had my employer pay the fees so the discount didn't
> matter.
>
> I think that having full price tickets for presenters is a break from
> convention.
>
> I also think that the statement about having a "*minimal distinction
> between presenters and attendees"* is disingenuous, especially when
> considering the academic presentations.
>
> Encouraging audience interaction is great, but I think that statement goes
> against the nature of a conference. Usually a presentation is a monologue
> (or even a soliloquy) where the presenter is there to transmit a message
> from a position of authority and the audience receives it. It would be nice
> if the communication was a dialogue, but that isn't really possible with
> this format. A dialogue is more suitable to a panel or an open discussion,
> rather than a presentation.
>

> On Wed, 27 Jun. 2018, 09:04 Alex Leith, <alexgleith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just want to establish a policy direction on conference presenters.
>>
>> My suggestion is that conference presenters are made aware that they need
>> to register, but if they don't want to, they can attend their session and
>> the break immediately afterwards. We can tell them something like the
>> following:
>>
>> *“We are aiming for an engaging and participatory conference, with
>> minimal distinction between presenters and attendees. While we really
>> appreciate all our presenters and would love to provide them with a free
>> ticket, we have opted instead to try and keep registration prices low and
>> are asking presenters to purchase a registration. If that is not possible
>> for a presenter, they may attend free of charge for the session they are
>> presenting in, and the break immediately afterwards.”*
>>
>> Can I please have your views on this, and if we agree, I'll write it down
>> somewhere.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex
>> --