[FOSS4G-Oceania] Collecting presentations from speakers

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 15:55:30 PST 2018

We can use either Dropbox or Google Drive.

Maybe we should set up folders on each of the presentation laptops for each
session and collect them there...

I'm not going to make this one of my priorities, it's quite fiddly and I'm
not convinced it's impactful. We are recording presentations too, which
means we do have something there for posterity.

Regards,

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 19:07 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes Martin, I think it a great idea to collect presentations.
>
> We can save ourselves a significant amount of post processing later on if:
>
> 1. We get a commitment from people that they allow us to publish their
> presentation under and open license. I suggest we make this as easy as
> possible by putting a README.md and LICENSE.md file in the upload directly,
> which makes it very clear that by loading your presentation into this
> directory that you agree to publish your presentation under our preferred
> license (I'd suggest CC-By 4.0). This should be explained in email to
> presenters.
>
> 2. The presentation is stored using a suitable naming or directory
> structure such that presentations are easy to find. Could we open a CMS
> page which shows our program, and allows anyone to upload their
> presentation and link into their spot in the program index file? If not,
> then set up a directory structure based on day/time, then get people upload
> their presentation in the format of YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SpeakerName-Title (or
> similar). That will make it much easier for us to collate later.
>
> What options do we have technically? The base option is providing a google
> drive, and a cover email to all presenters.
>

> On 16/11/18 5:19 pm, Alex Leith wrote:
>
> My advice to speakers was to bring them to their session 20 mins before.
>
> If we do want to collect them, we can, but then we need to ensure they’re
> on the right laptop. I’m trying to keep it simple again!
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 6:08 am, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good question - I'll leave this one for Alex since I'm not sure if he's
>> already doing something here.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Stephen Lead was collecting all the lightning talks in a
>> Dropbox somewhere.
>>
>> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 15:58, Martin Tomko <tomkom at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>>> HI guys,
>>>
>>> I do not see a central place where we collect speakers presentations (
>>> as a central point before the conference). Also, Cameron’s email implied
>>> that he will have all of his speakers using their own laptops.
>>>
>>> That is fine, but I think it is good to collect the presentations
>>> before, if possible. I have created a subfolder in the drive in
>>> Presentations/Sessions. Should we share this link?
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>
>> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Technology Demystifier
>
> M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

Alex Leith
0419 189 050