[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: A/V spending

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:12:56 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I've been running around a fair bit over the past few weeks, pulling
together the information we need about A/V at the venue. The Uni has some
excellent equipment in place, and nearly all of our needs are met without
any additional expenditure.

There are 2 items I'd like to get approval for spending money on though:

   1. *An on-site Uni-supplied A/V tech to be present to help immediately
   resolve any technical issues*. Without this, we have the option of
   calling the Uni help desk, and A/V issues will be resolved in due course.
   However, we have a tight schedule, and an A/V issue could cause a major
   disruption. Also, for a significant part of the program, we'll be running
   in 3 rooms, so 3x the risk of something going wrong. To have a dedicated
   A/V tech on site will cost something in the range of $1000-1400 for the 2
   days.
   2. *Additional microphones in Theatres B & C*. The secondary rooms (B &
   C) only come equipped with a single lapel mic, no handheld mics. This means
   that session chairs & presenters would have to share a lapel mic, and there
   are no handheld mics for the audience to ask questions. This is especially
   problematic for the video recording, which relies on the built-in PA system
   for the audio, but could also present problems for people with hearing
   difficulties. There is an easy solution: an on-campus company called
   AVMelbourne can provide extra A/V equipment, which in this case would
   involve installing an additional microphone kit in the 2 rooms for the 2
   conf days, giving us 2 lapels & 2 handheld mics in each room, which would
   be plenty. They've quoted $1200 for this service.

The Public Lecture Theatre comes supplied with 1 lapel mic and 2 handheld
mics, so should be OK as is. We have the option of getting additional mics
installed for the panel session, but I've asked around a bit and people
seem to be OK with 1 lapel & 2 HH for that session.

The current budget already has $1000 for '*Audio visual equipment & labour*',
so the total impact of this proposal is to increase that budget item by to
$1600.

So, the motion is:

*We increase the Audio visual equipment & labour expense in the budget by
$1600 to cover the incremental cost of: 1) a Uni A/V person on site during
the conference days, and 2) additional microphones in the secondary
presentation rooms during the conference days.*

I know I would sleep a bit easier with these in place, so obviously a +1
from me. We have a very healthy budget surplus to draw from.

Cheers
John