[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: Increased discount for workshop presenters

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 21:37:43 PDT 2018

Hi all

-1 for altering pricing at this point.

Why?
- speaking personally, I prefer to offer a speaker discount, not free
attendance.

- taking Dar as an example, I took a lot of time with my small team finding
money to come. I gave a workshop to 20 people, and was able to reach a lot
more (apparently people liked it).

Overall it cost us around $6000.

...which is likely a lot less than we'd pay for professional super targeted
marketing to governments and research agencies, plus face to face
networking over the week, plus opportunities to discuss the creation of new
business and research funding.

So while I paid full price to register and actually spent more time
wrangling finances than preparing a workshop, it's still an amazing value
proposition.

In a non business perspective, don't forget that papers, presentations and
workshops are the currency of academia and not-for-profit sector - there is
always a benefit far beyond the financial cost of attendance.

By focusing on the tree in the open source community, we tend to forget the
forest.

- we have already spent vast time on pricing, we made a decision, and it is
extra effort (which is in short supply) to change. Especially since we
would need to explain to all the sponsors why we changed things.

- but what about less privileged people? I hear you say... Well we have the
TGP for this, and having a talk or workshop in the pipeline is a good
lever. We also have community tickets - again having a talk in the pipeline
is extra weight. ...and we should look at the demographic of who has
already sent in proposals. I think we don't really need to subsidise the
cohort we have.

Ok that's long enough. Back to Zanzibar things and off a terrible phone
keyboard ;)

Perhaps the next committee will decide differently, for now let's keep it
real simple.

Cheers

Adam

--
Dr. Adam Steer
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer

On Mon., 3 Sep. 2018, 05:21 Daniel Silk, <dwsilk at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> We're also changing the value proposition for sponsors which makes me a
> little uncomfortable, but given how supportive everyone has been, I don't
> think we'll have any trouble.
>
> +1 for $150 for workshop presenters and $300 for helpers.
>

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 1:28 PM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm in favour of supporting our workshop presenters, who will need to put
>> in a significant amount of effort to put together their workshops - much
>> greater than the value of a registration fee.
>>
>> If budget allows it, I'd be inclined to suggest workshop presenters be
>> offered either:
>>
>> 1. To be able to sign up to the conference for free.
>>
>> 2. Decide to dedicate their fee toward the good mojo fund. (The slight
>> rewording to potentially help presenters sell the concept to their
>> employer, and also to have the presenter/employer recognised in conference
>> credits).
>>
>> I'll leave it up to John to decide whether he wants to adjust the motion,
>> or feels it should be left as is.
>>
>> Cheers, Cameron
>>
>> On 3/09/2018 9:39 AM, John Bryant wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Trisha, I'm splitting this out into a separate thread as a motion.
>>
>> Just having a look at the workshop presenters, I think there are at most
>> 6 people to whom this would apply - others have already registered as
>> sponsors, committee members, or already qualify for the CC discount. So, in
>> theory, the actual maximum impact on the budget is quite small, probably on
>> the order of $500-750.
>>
>> We should also consider offering the $300 presenter rate to some workshop
>> helpers, within limits (max one per workshop?). This might incur a few
>> hundred extra dollars in budget adjustment.
>>
>> Some of the presenters may have their registration paid for by their
>> employer, and may not care about the extra discount, especially if it means
>> redoing paperwork.
>>
>> I'm pretty comfortable projecting that we'll surpass our target of 90
>> workshop registrations, so some of the projected budget surplus is directly
>> related to the success of the workshop program. Re-investing some of this
>> surplus back into the people providing invaluable content seems positive to
>> me.
>>
>> It would take extra effort to communicate this with the presenters and
>> make sure they're clear on what's on offer. Trisha, sounds like you're
>> willing to take this on?
>>
>> So, to be clear, I'll phrase this as a motion:
>>
>> *Motion: to offer workshop presenters the option of registering for the
>> conference at the Community Contributor rate ($150), and to offer workshop
>> helpers the option of registering at the current Workshop Presenter rate
>> ($300). The expected total cost of this adjustment is estimated to be in
>> the range of $1000.*
>>
>> I'm comfortable supporting this proposal. +1 from me.

>>> 150 half day workshop regos