[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: minor update to Child Friendly Conference policy

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:49:32 PDT 2018

Hi folks,

You may have seen a request on the foss4g-oceania-discuss list this week,
suggesting some clarifications to our child-friendly policy. There was a
bit of concern that:

   - we weren't making it clear enough that parents bear responsibility for
   making sure their children are supervised at all times
   - we were expecting attendees to be responsible for dealing with
   children in difficult situations, even if they are not comfortable doing so.

The person who brought it up did so in the spirit of helping us improve our
policy, and Cameron & Adam stepped in quickly to make the suggested
clarifications.

The policy document has been amended
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_S01zTDMP1TUpLQQo3O0wmnP1UmcvW3mPSORn4h9uc>
to provide a little more clarity on responsibilities of parents and other
attendees:

   - addition of '*we request that parents take responsibility for their
   children*'
   - rewording from '*Assist. If you see a child looking lost or
   distressed, get down to their level and ask them how you can help.*' to '*If
   you are comfortable with children, consider assisting children who are
   looking lost or distressed - as you would an adult in the same situation.*
   '

I don't want to take up a lot of bandwidth with this - but want to make
sure the committee is aware and has bought in.

So, a motion: *We accept the modifications to the Child Friendly Conference
document, and update our website with the updated text.*