[FOSS4G-Oceania] 2019 Icebreaker

Daniel Silk dwsilk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:49:00 PDT 2019

Hi all

I've had a look at four venues for the Icebreaker - Foxtail, Flamingo
Joe's, Husk and The Library. I think that Foxtail is the best combination
of pricing / convenience / responsiveness.

Foxtail is only open to the public on Friday nights, the rest of the time
it's a function venue attached to a much larger venue called Foxglove. Half
way down this page [1] there are a couple of pictures.

Capacity is 100 people inside - it has 2 balconies that probably add
another 50, although we can't guarantee sunshine. It is right on the
waterfront so the balconies have nice views out to the harbour. It is an 8
minute walk from the workshop venue.

I figure we select canapes from the function menu [2] that look something
like this, retaining a decent selection for those with common dietary
requirements:

Canapes:
- Market fish ceviche, Pico de Gallo, wasabi crème, orange (gf)
- Cajun spiced crispy squid, lime mayo (df)
- Seared eye fillet, mustard crème, house pickled mustard, sourdough
crostini
- Moroccan spiced lamb skewer, raita (gf)
- Kumara rosti, homemade aioli, sour cherry (gf, v)
- Heirloom tomato, buffalo mozzarella, Aceto, basil, sourdough crostini (v)
- Camembert bite, tomato relish (v)
- Beetroot macaron, vanilla creme (gf, v)

If we order 16 pieces per person at $36pp for 40 people (640 canapes
total), we can get more options and better value for money, but that amount
of canapes will suit for up to 100 people. It's still more than 6 canapes
per person for 100, around 8.5 per person for our estimate of 75 attendees
for this event.

This would leave enough budget for 2 drinks per person (provided as
tokens), as long as we select drinks $12.50 and under (which is still a
good range [3] of beers, wines, soft drinks).

There is a minimum spend and a small hire fee, these commercial details are
in the budget [4] given that this message is on a public mailing list.

Finally, one of the entrances to this venue is through a wardrobe
(Narnia-esque), just for something a little different.

Ngā mihi
Daniel

[1] http://www.foxglovebar.co.nz/functions-1
[2]