[FOSS4G-Oceania] process for sponsor-submitted talks at F4G SotM 2019

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 19:37:44 PDT 2019

Hi all

In our latest FOSS4G SotM 2019 committee meeting there was a short
discussion about how to manage talks submitted by sponsors (minutes will
come soon, the 2019 conference wiki page at osgeo.org is just being started)

In 2018, we decided that sponsor-submitted talks should go through the
normal process - that is, there is no guaranteed talk slot for sponsors;
and any talks submitted by sponsors need to go through the normal community
review + committee filter.

On reflection, we failed to communicate this adequately to some sponsors,
and this year will aim to do so in the prospectus. However, in an
open-ended feedback survey, none of the sponsors who responded indicated
that they would prefer ‘guaranteed content’.

Before we go ahead and set words in stone for 2019:

Do you think that we should stick to the 2018 model - meaning that
sponsor-submitted talks should go through the normal review process; and
there are no guaranteed talk slots for sponsors?

+1 says ‘yes’; and that’s my personal vote/preference as programme
coordinator.

Please vote, ask questions if you need more clarity, discuss - our next
conference committee meeting is scheduled for early April; and we’d like to
have a prospectus nearing ‘ready’ shortly after that.

Thanks, and regards

Adam