[FOSS4G-Oceania] process for sponsor-submitted talks at F4G SotM 2019

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 12:20:17 PDT 2019

This is a delicate balance question.

We really appreciate sponsors as they enable us to attract community by
keeping costs to attendees down, pay for travel grant programs, and
cover the community day. We should say that ourselves. I think we should
follow that with a  60 second pitch session for big roller sponsors to
pitch their company, and then refer back to their booth for more info.
(That should be at the start of the conference within a plenary).

We should then state that our strong preference for talks (as per our
selection criteria) is no sales pitches. Yes, you can say where you
work, yes you can apply a very subtle reference back to you company, but
that should be it. (Paul Ramsey is very good at getting this balance right.)

+1, For all other talks, we should select based on existing merit
criteria (and not on how much you pay).

Cameron

On 24/3/19 1:37 pm, adam steer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In our latest FOSS4G SotM 2019 committee meeting there was a short
> discussion about how to manage talks submitted by sponsors (minutes
> will come soon, the 2019 conference wiki page at osgeo.org
> <http://osgeo.org> is just being started)
>
> In 2018, we decided that sponsor-submitted talks should go through the
> normal process - that is, there is no guaranteed talk slot for
> sponsors; and any talks submitted by sponsors need to go through the
> normal community review + committee filter.
>
> On reflection, we failed to communicate this adequately to some
> sponsors, and this year will aim to do so in the prospectus. However,
> in an open-ended feedback survey, none of the sponsors who responded
> indicated that they would prefer ‘guaranteed content’.
>
> Before we go ahead and set words in stone for 2019:
>
> Do you think that we should stick to the 2018 model - meaning that
> sponsor-submitted talks should go through the normal review process;
> and there are no guaranteed talk slots for sponsors?
>
> +1 says ‘yes’; and that’s my personal vote/preference as programme
> coordinator.
>
> Please vote, ask questions if you need more clarity, discuss - our
> next conference committee meeting is scheduled for early April; and
> we’d like to have a prospectus nearing ‘ready’ shortly after that.
>
> Thanks, and regards
>
> Adam

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier