[FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 carbon mitigation forest update

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 21:14:53 PDT 2020

Hi FOSS4G SotM Oceania community

A year ago we worked out a community-led project to plant 250 trees in a
peri-urban forest canopy / ecosystem restoration project to draw down our
conference carbon emissions (and a lot more).

Because of covid19, this has not been done yet - the area intended for
planting is in a part of Victoria affected by very strict travel and
activity limitations.

As a consequence, the project has been delayed - and by the end of
restrictions it will be too late to establish the seedlings properly this
year. Our on-the-ground coordinator (Tony Forster, Friends of Lysterfield)
has walked through several options, all of which have been made impossible
by travel restrictions.

...so now, we need to delay until next year. The nursery growing our
seedlings will get new ones started for us (the ones we were going to use
will not go to waste); and we can reset for a year.

I think this is the right thing to do given the circumstances - we will
work on getting the FOSS4G SotM Oceania community involved in the project
again next winter...

Regards

Adam

--