[FOSS4G-Oceania] [OSGeo Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2022 - Conference Format

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 20:08:19 PST 2021

Hi Jonah

I think that one big *in-person event and support for hubs* is a good idea.

My thinking is that in-person is great, and we have had two wonderful
events with over 200 people attending, and personally I'm hanging out for
the opportunity to see everyone again! But from the experience of the last
two years, we have demonstrated that there are a lot of people, especially
across the Pacific Island Countries and Territories who would love to be
included in the event at a local hub. So if we can broadcast keynote
content to hubs, then we can be inclusive of all.

Cheers,

Alex

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 at 14:39, Jonah Sullivan <jonahsullivan79 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Congratulations to the Conference Organising Committee on another
> successful event a couple of weeks ago. There were about 250 people that
> attended in-person hubs and another 50 online viewers, a great success!
>
> It's time to start thinking about next year's event: *what sort of event
> should we have?*
>
> There are a few familiar delivery modes (there are definitely more modes
> than these):
>
>    - *Online Event* - a webinar or teleconference that is entirely
>    virtual with people joining from wherever they are. Presentations are
>    streamed individually or concurrently.
>    - *Online with In-person Hubs:* this is the mode that was used in 2020
>    and 2021, the keynote presentations are streamed to local in-person hubs or
>    viewing parties as well as anyone online. The in-person hubs also have the
>    opportunity to showcase presentations by local attendees. Some hubs may
>    provide a video stream of their content.
>    - *In-person Event with In-person Hubs:* a main in-person hub where
>    speakers are before a real audience. Hubs or viewing parties or individuals
>    can join the video stream from wherever they are.
>    - *In-person Event:* a big ol' fashioned conference in one central
>    location. Individuals can join the video stream from wherever they are.
>
> Any preferences or ideas? Anything missing? Any guiding principles?
>
> I'm leaning towards the latter two with a big in-person event but it isn't
> up to me: the OSGeo Oceania Board serves the FOSS4G and OSM communities in
> Oceania so tell us what you think.
>
> Thanks for your continued engagement,
> Jonah Sullivan
> OSGeo Oceania Secretary