[FOSS4G-UK] FOSS4G:UK 2023: Meeting Notes 24th May 2023

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Wed May 24 10:34:56 PDT 2023

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those who attended the meeting today.

TLDR;
- We have booked venues in Lancaster, Keyworth, London, Bristol,
Swansea, Glasgow and Maynooth
- We agreed a £20 registration fee to minimise no shows, with reductions
for students, volunteers etc.
- Please add sponsor details to the sponsors sheet here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_VL5p6e9kNZBF6KDw2V7ksQFaSg29SUlqIG-xM19Nmk/edit#gid=0>-
Call for Talks to be drafted and shared by NB, then released.
- Eventbrite registration to be setup by Ant.
- Next meeting 21st June, 12-1, https://meet.google.com/aph-qfxx-iog

Venues
     - Lancaster - Barry & Jonny - venue booked, venue sponsor. template.
     - Keyworth - John S - sponsorship

     - London - Simon Miles & Steven Feldman, Geovation for free.
     - Bristol - Sam/Dan/Illya, venue booked, Engine Shed, catering TBC, £
     - chase discount - they have quoted £550. Can get £400 from CGI.
     - Swansea - Tom Colley - provisionality confirmed venue. confirm in
June. CGI sponsorship.
     - Glasgow, waiting for confirmation.Uni of Glasgow covering this.
     - Ireland, Peter Mooney, Maynooth Uni

NB will add venues to the website, and provide a template for people to
fill in. Both Ant and Nick are happy to update website if people don't
want to do it themselves.

Registration
     - discussion about a small fee for people to register to minimise
no shows. Agreed a commercial registration fee of £20 to be paid via
eventbrite (fee will be £1.98). We will have a code in eventbrite for
free tickets. NB to write some wording: ask for code if you can't afford
it / student / volunteer etc.). This would be refundable if you
cancelled with sufficient notice before the conference, and we would
make free tickets available and/or setup a fund to support those who
want to attend but for who this fee would be a barrier. The money from
this would be used to support the conference and OSGeo:UK software fund.
The plan is still for each venue to cover room hire and catering costs
with sponsorship.

Sponsorship
- The PDF document that can be circulate to sponsors has been created
and is available here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xtzaK0B_EpWrW39th83Lqi6D09j2Jai/view?usp=drive_link>
on Google Drive.
- I have created a sponsors sheet here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_VL5p6e9kNZBF6KDw2V7ksQFaSg29SUlqIG-xM19Nmk/edit#gid=0>
so please populate this with sponsor details when they are confirmed. I
am happy to add logos to the website when we are reasonably sure the
sponsor will pay.
- Sponsors can either pay the venue / cater direct (this is our
preferred option) or they can pay OSGeo:UK and we can pay the bills.
Matt Travis is Treasurer and can help with this.

Keynotes
     - We have Ujaval Gandhi confirmed.
     - Helen McKenzie has provisionally said yes.
     - Barry to confirm names of those on the FOSS4G 2013 Panel

Call for Talks
     - Similar Call for Talks as last year. NB to draft and circulate
     - Discussion around workshop provision. Not all venues will have
this option. If you 100% know this is not possible, let us know and we
can note this on the Call for Talks. In general, we will adopt the
approach of seeing what submissions we get.
     - Agreed that ALL presenters must provide a PDF version of their
slides 24 hours before the conference. This will allow us to add them to
the website, and provide a backup if streaming / live demo fails.
Presentors can present whichever format they wish, subject to local
chair agreement.

Tech
     - Similar setup to before, with Jitsi and YouTube streaming. Amy
(Kartoza) happy to help again. She is checking schedule etc. and has "a
bunch of improvements for the system 😁🥳"

Logo
- Discussion re logo and branding. Dave to chat to colleague about
potentially designing one. Discussion around including Ireland now, and
updating dots to represent current locations. Also potential to
incorporate the 'target' from FOSS4G 2013 logo and/or FOSS4G ribbon.

Next meeting - Wed 21st June, 12-1.

Any questions, do let me know.

Best wishes,
Nick.

--

Nick Bearman
+44 (0) 7717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.