[Foss4g2008loc] FOSS4G Integration Showcase
cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 04:31:48 EDT 2008
I'd like to hear feedback on this idea of a Geospatial Integration Showcase.
I think a well done Integration Showcase would be a very successful
component of a FOSS4G conference, and that everything listed below is
achievable for the 2009 FOSS4G.
A subset should be very easy to achieve for FOSS4G 2008. (In particular,
a Live GeoFOSS CD).
Geospatial Integration Showcase
The Geospatial Integration Showcase is a practical demonstration of
Application and Data Interoperability which underpins FOSS4G
presentations and workshops and provides a platform for future
* Application selection, decision trees
* Testing suite programs
* Spatial Data Infrastructures
* Open Data programs
* An OSGeo demo CD (often called Live CD)
* Future conferences
* Mashups and Boot Camps
FOSS4G's reputation as the international gathering of the Geospatial
Open Source tribes, along with its high profile show casing of Open
Geospatial systems makes it an ideal forum for users and developers to
build then launch long lasting geospatial initiatives.
The Integration Showcase is the sum of many long term integration
projects and is structured to be significantly bigger than a one event
demonstrator and all participants are strongly encouraged to think long
Direct FOSS4G goals
The showcase direct goals are:
* To demonstrate interoperability between the full stack of Open
Source and Proprietary Geospatial applications.
* To provide cross-application testing and comparison.
* To provide baseline applications to underpin FOSS4G & OSGeo
presentations and workshops.
* To facilitate development of Spatial Data Infrastructures.
o To provide a catalyst to encourage data custodians to
publish their data into the Spatial Data Infrastructure &
facilitate mashup applications.
* To simplify deployment and use of Geospatial Data, in particular
by supporting GeoFOSS integration into software distributions.
Geospatial Web Services
Why get involved?
What's in it for Projects?
* The Showcase is an excellent avenue to show off projects and
engage future sponsors.
* Activities in testing and comparison threads will provide feed
back into product testing suites which will improve the products.
* Cross project integration will help make the Open Source Stack
easier to use, make it more attractive, and consequently will
engage more users and sponsors.
What's in it for Data Custodians?
For Data Custodians to be sponsored to publish data, they need to
describe the data's public value, which in turn is dependent upon
developers finding and using the data.
FOSS4G will provide a "Mashup Boot Camp" where hackers are encouraged to
showcase and build mashups using Open Data and Open Source tools. This
provides an excellent avenue for custodians to publicise datasets.
FOSS4G will be an effective catalyst for many data custodians to engage
management sponsorship and commit to a specific deadline.
What's in it for SDI Sponsors?
* FOSS4G provides an focal point data custodians can use to
facilitate bring data online.
* The showcase is a mini Spatial Data Infrastructure, and hence
brings force to bear on key SDI issues like:
What is in it for FOSS4G
* A baseline distribution of GeoFOSS software will make it much
easier for presenters, and hence ensure a more polished conference.
* The showcase will be a significant drawcard for delegates and
sponsors. Sponsors will have the opportunity to show off their
wares, showcase participants will want to present their efforts,
users will be very interested to listen and talk to showcase
What is in it for FOSS4G Presenters?
The FOSS4G Audience will be interested to hear details about the various
aspects of the Integration Showcase. It will also be powerful to sum up
a presentation with "Now go and try it out on the Integration Showcase CD".
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
More information about the FOSS4G2008LOC