[Foss4g2008loc] FOSS4G 2008 Registration

Graeme McFerren gmcferren at csir.co.za
Thu Feb 21 16:27:02 EST 2008

Mmmm, point taken. Have changed it on the site to reflect (hoepfully) what you are saying...

Graeme

GRAEME MCFERREN  M.A. (WITS)

Geo-Semantics Researcher:  ICT4EO
Meraka Institute
Building 43, Office B151
Scientia, CSIR Pretoria
Brummeria
South Africa

Telephone +27 (0) 12 841 3405
Facsimile +27 (0) 866177865
e-mail:gmcferren at csir.co.za

http://www.meraka.org.za
http://www.sensorweb.ws
http://www.sensorweb-alliance.org

On Feb 21, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Graeme McFerren wrote:

> The point about the redirect is for a user to be taken to the
> PeopleSA site in much the same way as they would have ended up at
> the Sea2Sky site for the FOSS4G2007 event, so that accomodation
> options, for example, could be chosen and payment effected.

I guess it's not clear to me what "step 1" is. There's a form at the
bottom on the one hand, but on the other hand, there's a link to take
me to PeopleSA to do registration... what do I do first?

P.

> Regards
> Graeme

> GRAEME MCFERREN  M.A. (WITS)
>
> Geo-Semantics Researcher:  ICT4EO
> Meraka Institute
> Building 43, Office B151
> Scientia, CSIR Pretoria
> Brummeria
> South Africa
>
> Telephone +27 (0) 12 841 3405
> Facsimile +27 (0) 866177865
> e-mail:gmcferren at csir.co.za
>

> http://www.meraka.org.za
> http://www.sensorweb.ws
> http://www.sensorweb-alliance.org

> I don't understand the first paragraph about being re-directed to to
> the registration site.  The page I am on (http://conference.osgeo.org/index.php/foss4g/2008/schedConf/registration
> ) already looks like the start of a registration process... it has a
> form to select fees, and a forms for my personal contact information.
>
> I don't know how cunning your web developer is, but ideally, you would
> look-up what country they are coming from via geoip and provide the
> converted currency amount next to the ZAR number.  I think most people
> have room in their heads for three currencies and approximate
> conversions, their own, EUR and USD.  ZAR is a bridge too far.
>
> If the table of fees is meant to be descriptive, remove the form
> elements.  Also put the descriptions next to the titles, so they look
> like descriptions and less like directions.
>
> The description for "late registration" looks like a news item from
> the future "no more online registrations are being accepted". reword.
>
> Under the "fee code", calling it a "secret code" is a little cloak-
> and-
> dagger. Call it a "discount code".
>

> P.
>
> On Feb 21, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Petro Farrell wrote:
>
>> Registration is going live on 1 March and the next few testing days
>> are vital. Could you please go to the Osgeo site and look at the
>> registration process and options for conference fees. Currently
>> there is an option for “Early Bird- Conference plus workshops”. A
>> better option can be to have for the same price of R4400  “Early
>> Bird –Conference plus 3 activities (workshop,technical tour,outreach
>> activity in any combination). The delegate can then choose the
>> relevant activities once these have been finalised.
>>
>> Please respond by close of business Monday.
>>
>> Petro
>

> --
> Paul Ramsey
> pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
> +1 250 885 0632

> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and
> conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document
> Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html
> .

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers
> [...]

Paul Ramsey
pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
+1 250 885 0632