[Foss4g2009] Sponsorship Meeting

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Mon Jun 30 08:49:14 EDT 2008

Hello,

Here are some brief thoughts ahead of the meeting;

Publications:

   - Consider collecting a hit list of publications/sites/blogs/lists etc
   which we can target and the suitable media type for each forum

   - Directions is one of the main publications that springs to mind  -
   http://www.directionsmag.com/, there are no doubt others both
   international and regional. I think having a variety of avenues will help
   reach a wider audience.

What are the main competitive events?

   - From a Geo point of view there are a growing number, the big ones like
   Where2.0 GeoWeb and the international vendor conferences. Regionally i guess
   the vendor events i.e. OZRI then there's the organisation style events such
   as GITA, GeoCart (NZ), SIRC (NZ).

Communication with members

   - Again i favour multi channel (lists/emails/publications etc) with the
   prime focus on the web site - i find blogs attached to events can be a
   little thin on interesting content, perhaps an RSS feed for people to sign
   up to to? A mailing list is key.

Sponsorship companies

   - Paul's details from 07 are spot on and I think cover off the larger
   players - what approach do we take i.e. approach Autodesk etc through their
   local presense here in Oz? I think there's got to be quite a few local
   organisations and companies that would be interested in either sponsorship
   or exhibiting - here is small NZ selection who are taking an active interest
   in this area, I'm not long into Australia so perhaps someone else can
   provide a heads up on the targets here?

   - Geographic Business Solutions NZ
   - National GeoSpatial Office
   - State Services Commission