[Foss4g2009] RE: Sponsorship Meeting FOSS4G2009

Harley Prowse HarleyP at geobiz.co.nz
Mon Jun 30 18:50:35 EDT 2008

Hi Cameron,

Good idea, so I have CC'd this to the list for all to see and comment on
if desired.

I am all for seeing if we can get some involvement from the NZ Govt, but
I wonder about the wisdom of sponsoring something based in Australia
when they (the Govt) do not have a great track record of getting in
behind events here in NZ - although that is changing with more
involvement (and appreciated involvement as well I might add) from the
likes of NZGO, SSC and NZ Trade & Enterprise with respect to the Spatial
Industry in NZ.  This may also reflect a lack of suitable events in NZ -
being dominated by user group based events rather than general
geospatial events.  We did have a successful "Inaugural Geospatial
Conference" last week in Wellington which is encouraging.

Perhaps some involvement from NZ Govt will be useful in encouraging more
participation from NZ in FOSS4G2009 from NZ spatial industry
participants?

Harley Prowse

Director
Geographic Business Solutions Ltd.