[Foss4g2009] Code Sprint

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 11 00:23:39 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 07:22 +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Paul Ramsey wrote:
> >
> >> Also at sometime we need to talk about the venue for the code sprint. Should
> >> I start looking for venues for a week long code sprint? If so will there now
> >> be a registration fee for the code sprint?
> >>

> > Yes, look for venues. We need to know our options. No fee.
> >

> Paul, you put out a straw poll for people's preference for length of a
> code sprint, and have only got a little feedback, possibly because
> people haven't recovered from SA yet. Should we send a direct email to
> project leads to ask them to ask their communities to plan for a code
> sprint now, and get back with:
> * Expected number of people that will be attending from their team
> * How many days they would like
> Do you have an email list of project leads handy?

The feeling I got from talking to ppl in Cape Town was that at least 3
days is required.  Some will do 4 days if it's offered, but 3 is less
risky and probably enough to meet most objectives.

I'd strongly favour Wed - Fri before the conf proper.  That would give
sprinters a long weekend before the conf to do some sight seeing which
seemed to be an idea that went down well.

Venue:  If we find a "holiday resort" type location that has suitable
facilities in somewhere like the Blue Mountains, the costs will not be
significantly more than what each participant would be paying in
accommodation anyway.  If we have 30+ people, we may even get it cheaper
than city accommodation.  We would also be able to cope with partners/
families in such a setting (informal partners prog for the sprint?)
which was one of the requests by those who were missing their main
squeeze and would like to make the trip a family affair.

Regards,
Tim

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.