[Foss4g2009] Workshops

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Sun Oct 12 14:11:53 EDT 2008

In light of the Code Sprint discussions, I thought
I'd raise the issue of Workshops, which I think is
much more important to get a handle on than the
Code Sprint. It certainly needs to be sorted out
much sooner than the Code Sprint.

At this point, I'm only talking "Workshops".
Not "Labs". However, that assumes we stick with
Workshops as 1/2 day, and Labs as 90 minutes,
and that Workshops are an extra-charge item and
that Labs (if there are Labs, which is a separate
(please) discussion) are part of the conference
program(i.e. like Presentations).

I'm thinking that if we have some consensus on this
list, then we could ask for input on OSGeo-Discuss.

1)
What is the timeframe for holding Workshops?
Single day?
Tuesday?
Daytime only, or Evening Workshops as well?
2)
How many Workshop slots should there be?
3-hour slots?
One set in the morning, one set in the afternoon?
How many simultaneous slots?(e.g. 6 at once, like
Victoria, making for a total of 12 Workshops)?
3)
Any specific restrictions?
Only Workshops that haven't been delivered before?
Only content that is 100% Open Source?
Must be 'hands on'.
Only use provided PCs(no "bring your own laptop")?
4)
Audience balance for the Workshops?
How many aimed at "beginners"?
How many aimed at "intermediate"?
How many aimed at "advanced"?
How many aimed at "developers"?
5)
Incremental Registration Cost for Workshop attendance?
Aim to break even?
Aim to make X profit?

There are probably more things to consider,
but you get the idea.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems