[Foss4g2009] review period for public materials

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:35:22 EDT 2008

So it looks like 2006 was actually the inconsistency. Thanks for clearing
that up. Hopefully "Geospatial" sticks. Otherwise I could see strange
variants cropping up like "Free and Open Source Software for GIS" "Free and
Open Source Software for Geoscience" "Free and Open Source Software for
Gungans" etc.  (sorry for the last one. My kids made me watch Star Wars
Episode 1 last night). - Dan

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Dave Patton <davep at confluence.org> wrote:

> On 2008/10/13 10:42 AM, Daniel Ames wrote:
>
>> Dear 2009 Folks,
>> In the olden days (2 years ago) the "g" in FOSS4g stood for
>> "Geoinformatics"
>> not "Geospatial".  I see that the poster and postcard use "Geospatial".
>> Was
>> that an executive decision of the OSGeo Board or some other entity? Just
>> curious... I don't have a preference, but consistency is nice.
>>

> 2005, 2007, and 2008 all used "Geospatial":
> http://old-mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/mtg2005.html
> http://www.foss4g2007.org/
> http://conference.osgeo.org/index.php/foss4g/2008
> I don't know why 2006 used "Geoinformatics", or
> if there was an official decision to use "Geospatial".
>

> --
> Dave Patton
> CIS Canadian Information Systems
> Victoria, B.C.