[Foss4g2009] Setting schedule in stone for labs/workshops/tutorials for Foss4g2009 - please vote

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:59:37 EDT 2008

I am falling a bit behind the discussion :-)

I am concerned about the bring your own laptop format - it may turn into an
"installfest with slides". Remember the target audience for the labs that
got accepted were almost always aimed at an intro level. As an instructor it
was important to spend time on the subject at hand; rather than helping
people figure out how different it is to install PostGIS onto a vista
machine...

The format *can* work - but the instructor would need some help on the floor
to make it happen. For the uDig lab in 2007 for example we had a small
cluster of mac users with Jesse to support them. We had three other
volunteers helping those on the stock PC machines. If people are bringing
their own laptops a similar arrangement should be recommended/required.

Jody