[Foss4g2009] Re: [Aust-NZ] Aust-NZ FOSS4G Booth [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Wed Aug 5 20:58:53 EDT 2009

On 2009/08/05 2:04 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

[snip]

> In particular, the Organising Committee will be filling lots of roles
> including:
> * Addressing any technical glitches that may happen in the conference.
> Ie be findable by delegates who have noticed a problem.
> * Coordinate planned foss4g activities and volunteers

[snip]

> Unless there are any objections, I'll discuss logistics with Tour Hosts.

What worked well for FOSS4G2007 was the use of radios (walkie talkies):
- at least one member of the Professional Conference Organizer
   (e.g. Tour Hosts) always carried a radio, and she was onsite for
   essentially every minute of the conference, including pre-conference
   setup, early AM before any delegates arrive, end of the day until the
   conference center was "locked up", etc. In addition, there was a
   radio at the registration desk for use by those staff.
- at least one, and usually two, members of the Organizing Committee
   always carried a radio (I had one "all the time", and most of the
   time the Volunteer Coordinator also had one)
- in our case there were times when the onsite company responsible
   for the internet access(wired & wireless) was also on a radio
   (they also had a staffed office onsite)

As for "delegates who have noticed a problem", they way we did it
was to tell delegates (it was right in the conference program) to
go to the registration desk for any issue. Because they had a radio,
they could always contact the appropriate party to address the issue.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: