[Foss4g2009] Proposal - Invite the Minister of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research to open FOSS4G-2009

Bruce Bannerman bruce at bannerman.id.au
Sat Feb 28 19:22:18 EST 2009

Sorry Andrew, this was too good an idea to let languish...

I propose (based on Andrew's idea) that we invite the Minister of
Innovation, Industry, Science and Research to open FOSS4G-2009.

The current Minister is Kim Carr. I'd say that he is probably the most
appropriate person for our group and aims.

http://minister.innovation.gov.au/Pages/home.aspx

I've prepared a first draft of a letter below. I'd say that this would
be best coming from the LOC Chair.

This draft will need to be pulled apart by those with more experience in
these things (e.g. Tour Hosts).

Bruce Bannerman

Draft Letter

Dear Minister Carr,

Our organisation has been successful in attracting the prestigious
international conference FOSS4G-2009 to Sydney in October 2009.

We would be honoured if you would accept our invitation to open this
conference on the 21st October 2009.

The FOSS4G series of conferences are where the best and brightest minds
gather to discuss the current and future directions of Free and Open
Source Software for Geospatial use.

At this year's conference we are expecting a keen interest from within
Australian Government as there have been some recent exciting
developments led by:

- CSIRO with the Spatial Information Services Stack project. This
  project working to provide a set of FOSS4G tools that can be
  rolled out to a number of Government Departments; and

- The Office of Spatial Data Management and the Australia New Zealand
  Land Information Council with the adoption of a FOSS4G project as
  a tool to help Government employees and the public to find government
  spatial information.

In our current challenging economic times, particularly in the light of
the implementation of the recommendations of the Gershon Review within
Federal Government, I think that you will find that FOSS4G is a cause
that should be supported. FOSS4G has the potential to save government
considerable sums of money and to lead to more innovative and open
technical solutions.

Again, we would be honoured if you would accept our invitation to open
this conference on the 21st October 2009.

Could you please advise me by <date> if you are able to accept our
invitation?

Yours sincerely,

Cameron Shorter
Chair FOSS4G-2009 Local Organising Committee
etc

End Draft Letter