[Foss4g2009] Workshops

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 22:42:00 EST 2009

One of my items on our todo list has been to track down quotes for
workshop hardware.  I've been asking for the following:
   144 - Workstations and monitors (17")
   16  - 16 Port Ether switches + cabling
   10  - Data projectors
       - Delivery
       - Installation (Monday Oct 19)
       - Removal (Tuesday Oct 20)
       - Image deployment on machines where possible

This is not quite comparable to Tour Hosts, which most closely quotes
200 workstations with monitors, switches, cabling, delivery,
installation and removal.

The (rounded) results of the few responses I have are the following:
	Tour Hosts $28,000 (200 machines, no image deployment)
	Hire Intelligence $25,000 (no image deployment)
	Microhire $14,000

The key to this price discrepency is that Microhire is willing to
consider Monday through Tuesday as a single days hire.

Does anybody know what insurance we intend to carry on this event and
whether these rentals will be covered by default?

Next on my list is writing up a call for workshops for discussion.  I'm
basically working from previous calls, but there are things that will
need to be updated.  First and foremost, what do we want to encourage.
2007 asked for:
     * Practical Introduction to ___________
     * Interoperability
     * NeoGeography and NovelGeography
     * Using a Software Stack
     * 3D Worlds
Practical Introduction is always applicable, and usually the biggest
draw.  Interoperability is also always nice.  My preference is to kill
the other three and pick one more point to focus on.  Any thoughts?

Scanning through the docs, I don't see any plan as to how we will be
accepting submissions.  I would expect setting up a word-doc or pdf
template and getting people to just email them in is fine, there
shouldn't be an unwieldy volume.  Unfortunately, since the workshop
pages of previous conferences seem to get retasked with descriptions of
the selected workshops, I don't actually have previous instructions or
templates.  Can anybody direct me to some?

--
Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009