[Foss4g2009] Specs for a machine for the CCIP?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:22:58 EST 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> I have a verbal agreement with Sun to loan us with a server for the
>> Climate Change Integration Plugfest (CCIP).
>> What I need now is to tell Sun what specifications we require.
>>
>> Raj, Greg,
>> How many OGC service applications do you expect will participate? Are
>> you able to provide a likely hit list?
>>
>> Then I'd like to know how much memory, cpu, etc we are likely to
>> require for each application. Anyone like to take a guess at this?
>
> Cameron,
>
> What aspects of the integration do you anticipate running on this
> sun?  I am concerned that expecting participant software to run on a Sun
> (in particular a Sparc running Solaris) may put a big barrier in the way
> of participation.
>
> Perhaps this is just to host some datasets?
>
> Sorry for budding in, in the middle when I haven't really been involved.
>
> Best regards,

Frank, glad to have your feedback, and I'm ccing the list after getting
the ok from you:

For background the CCIP is defined here:
http://external.opengis.org/twiki_public/bin/view/ClimateChallenge2009/WebHome
Basically: One server with multiple virtual machines

As yet, we have not defined our hardware requirements, and everything is
on the table as an option. (Especially since my experience with hardware
is largely limited to installing linux on computers I've found in
dumpsters).

So please speak up with all the advise you can fire at us.