[Foss4g2009] Conference Presentation Starter Topics

Harley Prowse HarleyP at geobiz.co.nz
Wed Jan 21 01:06:31 EST 2009

Hi,

I raised the issue of suggested presentation topics or themes to be sent
out as part of the call for papers.  The idea is to communicate to
possible presenters the types of topics we are keen to see at the
conference.  I don't think this should be a list that people need to
stick to, just some ideas to get people thinking and to ensure that we
get a good coverage of topics to appeal to the many different types of
potential delegates.  We should make it clear that any presentations
relating to FOSS4G and the conference theme will be considered whether
they fall into one of the suggested topic areas or not.

So, in the interests of building up some suggested topics, here is a
starter.  Please feel free to re-word, and/or add more as you see fit
(and suggest deletion).  I will compile a list for the OC to approve
(before the next OC Meeting on 18th Feb) to the Wiki here
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Program#Presentation_Themes

Technical Topics (not my domain, I will need some input from the Techies
for this list).
- New Developments and software
- Technical implementations
- Using FOSS with proprietary software
- FOSS Cartography and Map Production

Business Topics
- Implementation Case Studies - The business problem, the solution, how
it was implemented, how the solution solved the problem etc.
- FOSS4G Business Case - Selling FOSS4G to managers, cost benefit,
risks, lessons learned etc  Might be old hat for NA and Europe, but of
interest "down under"
- Best of Breed Case Studies - Implementing a combination of proprietary
and FOSS software, why, how etc.
- Interoperability and Standards
- The state of FOSS4G - where is it at now, future directions and
trends.

Areas of Application (from the FOSS4G2008 website, with a few mods)
- Disaster management
- Health
- Energy
- Water
- Climate change
- Weather
- Ecosystem management
- Agriculture
- Biodiversity
- Land reform
- Education
- Government
- Local economic development, poverty alleviation
- Participatory GIS
- Semantic Web and ontologies in GIS
- Location based services, logistics, routing
- NGOs, CBOs (Community-based organisations) and community development
workers
- Mining, exploration, beneficiation
- Spatial economics
- Military
- Utilities (municipal, gas, electricity, telco)

Harley Prowse

Director
Geographic Business Solutions Ltd