[Foss4g2009] Integration Showcase Machine 1

Doug White doug.royce.white at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 01:20:57 EST 2009

Jody,

Good to catch up this afternoon.  I would say that machine spec is a
good start point, although the stripe disk may have to be larger
depending on data of course.

Since disk is relatively cheap, I personally would normally opt for
2x512GB disks in a raid0 stripe for data and 2x smaller disks (120GB?)
for the OS and application software in a raid1 mirror.  Although this is
a question of redundancy requirements?

If the machine is to use a Linux OS, then it could utilise software raid
and LVM for this type of thing using standard SATA disks. Again,
personal preference.

The CPU and memory seem fine... but maybe mapserver, geoserver, postgis
developer lists would provide feedback on requirements in relation to
processing vector and raster data.

Doug. White