[Foss4g2009] Draft of Call for Abstracts

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Wed Mar 4 07:39:19 EST 2009

+1 on Harley's comments  - he is representative of a user base, which (IMO)
we're trying to represent in our theme 'user driven'.

re: presentation timeslots. I guess we have to publicise a time slot and i
think this should be 25mins - I'm not sure that dictating 5mins here, 5 mins
there, will actually enforce what in reality will be a 30min time slot i.e
you have 30 mins to get in do your stuff, and get out before the next person
arrives for their 30mins. Every conference I have been to struggles on this
point and it eventually boils down to disciplining the overall presentation
segments i.e. 30mins - if we don't break that rule we'll be good :)

...and that brings us round to Marks point about presentation management -
I'd prefer us to have a rota established ahead of time with OC members and
other volunteers drafted to manage a set of 2/3 presentations. Given the
current program this would require:

13 session segments on day 1
9 sessions segments on day 2
11 session segments on day 3

re: submitting presentations before hand - from my experience I spend the
night before a presentation changing it (...writing it, Baden Powell was not
always true when he said 'be prepared'), then the minutes before I change it
again (because I've just sat through my presentation given by someone else)
therefore I'm not a big fan of slide submissions ahead of the presentation -
is it that difficult to walk up with a machine and swap the video? If of
course the presenter is not using their own machine then yes i think its
reasonable to ask for slides to be submitted in advance. If this is the case
I think the allocated presentation facilitator should have a machine with
the slide sets on and this should be the default back up.

re: expressing an interest in presenting or attending. An expression of
interest is very different from cold hard cash(sorry for being blunt). We
want to know how many people will present and how many people may attend,
but in reality even if people did 'express interest' this may be so far off
the mark its useless information. I'd prefer to push our efforts into
advertising, marketing, publicising, blowing off, and generally shouting
very loud indeed about the conference in a bid to get as many people to
attend as possible. Our current 'expression of interest' form goes directly
to TH

Simon