[Foss4g2009] foss4g2009 site migration to Staticmatic

Shoaib Burq saburq at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:41:38 EDT 2009

Over the last few days I have been rewriting the foss4g website using
Staticmatic. http://staticmatic.rubyforge.org/

This has several imporatant advantages

1. If we add an item in the sidebars we dont' have to go and change
the HTML on all the 29 pages by hand.
2. we can use different page layouts depending on which page we are looking at.
3. we don't have to worry about the relative paths to resources such
as images, css, js.
4. all the html code generated by haml templates is perfectly aligned
5. It allows for partials which means we can have partials for parts
of the site that get regularly updated. e.g press releases, sponosrs
look at http://github.com/sabman/2009.foss4g.org-staticmatic/tree/f1fc5330c2c3243c27f33994edbe740376468796/src
6. things will be less likely to break

This will save anyone working on the site many hours.

There is only one drawback (sort of) - person coding the site will
need to understand staticatic, haml and sass which is not necessarily
a bad thing - they are both quite elegant and worth learning (IMO)

So the code is currently on github
http://github.com/sabman/2009.foss4g.org-staticmatic/ but if Tyler is
okay with it I will move it to osgeo svn and then you will need to do
a fresh checkout from the 2009.foss4g.org-staticmatic/site/ directory