[Fwd: [Foss4g2009] Re: International Community wanting to network with Government at FOSS4G ]

Bruce Bannerman bruce at bannerman.id.au
Wed Sep 23 08:24:30 EDT 2009

Hi Cesar,

We can definitely set up a BOF session for using FOSS4G in Government, or similar title.

What did you have in mind?

To start the ball rolling, seeing that everyone else is sitting back
and waiting for everyone else: some potential discussion points:

- The UK Government's policy on Open Source [1]. It would be good to get a
  UK person to talk to this.

- How can governments exploit open source:

  + Implement based on Open Standards.

  + The GeoNetwork example where we all need a Metadata entry tool and
    catalogue.

  + We all don't want to pay for the same development, but share / pool
    resources.

  + how do we coordinate this work, while working sensitively with
    Open Source communities who own the code base and may not want to
    go in the same direction that we do. This includes issues relating to
    working with Project Steering Committees etc.

  + We can't expect communities to do our work for free. Therefore we will
    need to either engage our own people or consultancies to do the work.
    The consultancies could come from within the community from anywhere
    around the world, until we build up our own local communities. This
    could create procurement problems.

- The need for governments to engage with Open Source communities at all
  levels, not just as developers.

- The need to allow employees to participate within OS Communities as
  part of their day to day jobs: i.e. we need to build up our technical
  skills.

- The need to treat OS on a level playing field with proprietary solutions.
  That will mean looking at the Solution life cycle (See the new UK OS policy).

- Experiences in other countries:

  + What is working.

  + What is not working.

I've started off the Wiki entry [2] for the BOF session on FOSS4G in Government.

Please edit and add potential discussion points as desired.

Also please sign up for the session if you're interested.

[1] http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/government_it/open_source.aspx

[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_BirdsOfAFeather

Bruce Bannerman