[Foss4g2009] FYI: open source technology survey

Ross Charles Johnson rossgo at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:52:02 EDT 2009

Posted On: 9/29/2009

What are the main problems with open-source technology?

In our continuing open-source technology thread, we asked our readers to indicate the main benefits to open-source technology. We got a strong cross-section of responses, but the overwhelming choice is price, with more than 71 percent choosing cost. Customization and Broad Community Input came in second at 57 percent each, followed by Access at 43 percent and Ease-of-Use at 29 percent.

Although one person wrote in to say that there are no benefits to open-source technology, and others wrote in that the technology isn’t realistic for practical work, most of the respondents commented about the pricing advantages. As one said: “Per seat or per transaction charges, which are now becoming the norm, are fluctuating costs that agencies cannot budget for. Open-source gives fixed costs and allows access to anyone (internal/external) without having to factor in a cost for usage.”

Given that we heard from those saying there are no benefits or that open-source isn’t realistic, it’s only fair to give a voice to those who are not fans of the technology. We’d like to know what you think are the main problems with open-source technology.

Please take a moment to answer our survey and we’ll report back next week:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=N_2fFUkNGN2ybfQqFY2jcgdA_3d_3d

Jo Treadwell
VP/Group Publisher
jtreadwell at geoplace.com