[Foss4g2010] subscriptions [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Wed Nov 25 17:52:04 EST 2009

Lorenzo,

Just some thoughts, which you have probably already taken into account:

Start with the expected budget (including the expected minor surplus for 2011) and then divide by the number of anticipated attendees (which can be hard enough to determine in itself) to get your base subscription rate.

i.e. subscription = budget / nAttendees

(where the budget has had other expected sources of income taken into account, e.g. sponsors etc. We should be building up a reasonable history by now to make assumptions on.)

For event marketing, you may need to enter into special deals with associations, e.g. professional associations who could use their mailing lists to promote FOSS4G-2010 on our behalf.

These associations will typically request a discount off the base rate (e.g. 5% to 10%) of the conference subscription fees for their members as part of the deal for their promoting FOSS4G.

I'd set the discounted rate to be equal to your calculated subscription rate and then add 10% for the normal subscription rates. This will give you a bit of contingency which you may find handy later on. (This is the bit that we didn't do).

I hope that's not too confusing.

...And apologies if you've already been through this process.

Bruce