[Foss4g2010] Presentations and posters

Arnulf Christl seven at arnulf.us
Fri Jan 29 12:21:31 EST 2010

Volker Mische wrote:
> Academic and other sessions should have the same length. But I'd vote
> for leaving it as 25+5. In reality (at least this is how it was in 2009)
> it was more like 20+5+5(one of):
>  - I needed to connect my laptop
>  - many_questions
>  - time to move to another session
>
> Cheers,
>   Volker

+1 to all points

The half hour per presentation makes a lot of sense due to all these
reasons. Each year there has been a lot of moving around between
sessions so that it always starts just a few minutes late and leaving
folks "end" sessions just a few minutes early to get late to the next
presentation. My guess is that shortening it to 15+5 will not work at
all and 20+5 gives us strange start and end times. And last but not
least we should not outweigh quality with quantity. How many talks can a
an attendee realistically digest in a day?

Regards,
Arnulf.

> Helena Mitasova wrote:
>> My suggestion was for shortening the talks for all sessions, not just academic, and as other have suggested,
>>  15+5 is even better than 20+5 (I just did not want to sound too radical).
>> This will make for a more dynamic conference,
>>
>> Helena
>>

>> On Jan 29, 2010, at 7:46 AM, Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
>>
>>> Paul, others,
>>> does it make sense to have three session per hour for both academic and not?
>>>
>>> The program is still flexible and this is the time to decide about it.
>>>
>>> we will decide inside the LOC about the 15+5 for academic, I don't see any major problem for the moment to approve it.
>>> It would be easier, IMO, if the program can be synchronized between academic and not to let people easily choose their own scheduling of presentations.
>>>
>>> lorenzo
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
>>> Warning: Don't balkanize the academic track by choosing a different
>>> presentation format from the other content. If everything is
>>> consistent, the talks can be mixed and matched into rooms depending on
>>> expected *demand and interest* rather than artificial categories
>>> ("it's academic").
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> P.

Arnulf Christl