[Foss4g2013] Presentations - How long abstracts?

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Fri Apr 12 06:27:38 PDT 2013

Now I'm feeling all self-concious about mine. :-)

I figure the title can be one sentence in itself (albeit hopefully a fairly
short one). That would make a short-short abstract almost redundant.

I.e. My title (is there an award for least-original title?)

*Deploying a Open Source Web-GIS within Warwickshire County Council*

Compared to my "short" abstract - 56 words over 2 sentences:

*  This presentation seeks to present a case study for how Warwickshire
County Council replaced their proprietary web-GIS with a in-house developed
deployment of Heron Mapping Client, with GeoServer for the backend. It will
cover the entire process, from business case, through specification,
extending HeronMC, technical "gotcha's", user feedback, evaluation of the
project, and future plans.*

I'm sure they could both be cut-down but I think then I'd start losing
useful content.

I guess it depends on the nature of the presentation.

Jonathan

On 12 April 2013 14:14, Jeroen Ticheler <jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net> wrote:

> +1 - and indeed that has also been discussed many, many times within the
> FOSS4G conference committees.
>
> On 12 apr. 2013, at 15:07, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
>
> Someone suggested doing the same as OSM, having the same conference
> registration system every year.
>
> I'm very much in favour of this.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> --
> Bart van den Eijnden
> OSGIS - http://osgis.nl
>
> On Apr 12, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Volker Mische <volker.mische at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I also found it kind of strange to have a once sentence description with
> 100 *words*.
>
> I just kept mine to one sentence and a short abstract (not the maximum
> length) at the bottom.
>
> We'll see how others did it :)
>
> For the next year I'd also like to propose to have a way to edit your
> submission even if you've submitted it already.
>
> Cheers,
>  Volker
>
> On 04/12/2013 02:59 PM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> Can you tell us if a long abstract is really required? Our presentations
> are summarized in 100 words and I'm not that keen to start writing lots
> of words for the sake of it :-)
>
> (That brings me to the suggestion for the conference guidelines to
> always request the same details for presentations, workshops et cetera
> in consecutive conferences)
>
> Kind regards,
> Jeroen
> ________________________
_________________________
___
> GeoCat introduces Bridge©
> An extension to ArcGIS© to instantly publish data and metadata on
> GeoServer and GeoNetwork.
> See http://geocat.net for more details.
>
> Jeroen Ticheler
> GeoCat bv
> Veenderweg 13
> 6721 WD Bennekom
> The Netherlands
> Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
> http://geocat.net

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.