[Foss4g2013] presentations and workshops

Herbert, David J. darb1 at bas.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 03:16:53 PST 2013

I have a few questions about what's expected in terms of presentations and workshops at FOSS4G 2013.  Last April, I attended FOSS4G NA in Washington DC and gave a half-hour presentation on the use of FOSS here at British Antarctic Survey.  I would very much like to build on this and give a presentation at the Nottingham conference this year, but am a bit confused by the information on the website regarding how I go about this.

Are all presentations at the conference to be accompanied by a formally submitted academic paper?  Clearly there is a bigger time commitment in preparing something like this, over what it would take to prepare a half hour presentation.  If it is possible to present without submitting a paper, could this be made clear and the deadlines published on the website?

Regarding workshops, I would like to know what kind of format is expected here.  Is a series of related presentations and questions/discussion following an acceptable format?  I have an idea to get a group of people from the Natural Environment Research Council centres in the UK to give a themed series of talks on use of FOSS to serve environmental science.  Is this something that would work?

Many thanks,

David Herbert
British Antarctic Survey.