[Foss4g2013] Fwd: FOSS4G presentation - authors' list not complete

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jul 8 06:28:56 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
> Can anybody here help us with this? See below.
>
> It's important that not only the first presenter, but additional presenters
> also show up in the programme.

 Yes, have no fear, everyone will appear.

 The provisional programme currently on the web site was mashed
together from the presentation submissions and the academic track
submissions, which meant mashing a spreadsheet with a dump from the
OJS system.

 In the interest of getting a programme of talks on the web as quickly
as possible (and with the early bird deadline in mind) I had to forgo
rigour for expediency. Getting the first presenter from each of those
systems was easy, but parsing several forms of "with Fred and Jane"
was not and was turning me grey. So I stuck with just the first
presenter.

 After pausing for breath and publishing all that I returned to the
task and now I do have a data base of talks, with presenters and
co-presenters, put into grouped sessions with times and locations. Its
all in a Django system, and if you know where to look you can find the
source code.

 We've also gone through a big edit of all talk descriptions. This was
a pain too, because academic track submissions only had an abstract
which was too long for the short description we need for the printed
programme. So some of us went through 200 presentations, editing the
titles and descriptions for length, style, spelling etc. I'd like to
announce this to presenters first in case our edits have substantially
changed the meaning of the talk.

 And then we'll squirt this all out to the public. Currently I'm
working on the best way to present the timetable. What do people think
of the ESRI UC timetable app?

 Django experts, mobile UI designers, and donations of "No More Grey
for Men" welcome.

Barry