[foss4g2014] Institutionalized aspects of FOSS4G (was: Work Party?)

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 07:31:40 PST 2014

I was the Program Chair for FOSS4G NA 2013, and I am very willing to help
provide some continuity and any information that we collected and learned
in putting that event together.  I am pretty sure that David Bitner has
given you access to the lists of sponsors, media partners, etc. that we
created.  If not, let us know.

I have been on the list for several months now and I have been waiting for
the program-related activities to ramp up.  I am hoping to get more
involved and would be happy to work more on the program solicitation,
collection, and selection. There are definitely opportunities for improving
our process, but would be very happy to share what we did.  We had a
handful of people who did a majority of the work, including Michael Terner
and Paul Ramirez, who I know are on this list already.

For the selection process, we decided to do a first cut based on blind
selections from 'the community'.  We then did some non-blind selections to
help round out the program.  I think that we learned a lot with that
process and I came out of it thinking that there are a few potential
advantages to blind select, but that it will probably lead to a skewed
program.  I am also not sure if we enticed anyone to present that wouldn't
have submitted an abstract to a non-anonymous process.

I think that the people who participate in the community voting represent
an important part of the population that will attend the conference, but
you may miss people who you want to attract to the conference.  In addition
to the core developers and users of OS Geo warez, we also wanted to bring
in people who may not be using it now, but could be convinced with some
good business cases.  Because of the strong use of geospatial tech in state
and local government in Minnesota, we also saw the conference as an
opportunity to bring in local people who might not travel to a conference
like this.  For them, we looked for government business cases.

I completely agree about the lack or continuity and sharing of tools (aside
from Boundless' abstract submittal app).  I am here to help where needed.

David.