[foss4g2014] Scholarships

Kristin Bott bottk at reed.edu
Thu Feb 6 13:02:50 PST 2014

I think this is a great idea, and given some folks more in-the-know re:
likely sponsors/backers, I'd be game to work on seeking funding to make
this happen -- particularly if it's targeted at women/minorities... (either
one or 50%+ of many -- donors may opt to keep the funds general support or
designated/restricted)

-kristin

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Darrell Fuhriman <darrell at garnix.org>wrote:

> Rather than try to reply to all the great comments individually, I wanted
> to add a bit of clarification -- the confusion is my fault for my hastily
> sent e-mail.
>
> I think there are two different things people are thinking when I say
> "scholarship":
>
> 1) Free or discounted admission to students, possibly in exchange for
> helping with the conference.
> 2) A grant for someone, not necessarily a student, to attend who may not
> have been able to otherwise.
>
> We've already made plans for (1) -- essentially a heavily discounted
> admission in exchange for a day of work, up to some maximum (I think we
> decided around 60, I need to look at my notes). This is included in our
> current budget (mostly in the "percent complimentary admissions" budget
> item.) My argument for making it small, but greater than zero is that you
> want your volunteers to have a little bit of skin in the game so they're
> less likely flake out on you -- but maybe I'm not being fair to them.
>
> I was actually wanting to talk about (2). Jacob's link to OSCON (
> http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013/public/content/scholarships), or the
> SoTM.us version (waived fees + $500 travel grant) is much more in-line with
> what I was thinking.
>
> And to David's point -- I'm bringing this up now explicitly so we can
> budget for it. :)
>
> Without whipping out the spreadsheet, I think the costs to the bottom line
> are something like this:
>
> -- Cost of catering: ~$300
> -- 1 Workshop ~$500 (if we want to offer this)
> -- 5 nights hotel: ~$750
> -- 1 flight: ~$800 (depending)
>
> Total: $2350
>
> I don't count the waived conference admission, since the marginal cost of
> another attendee is primarily the catering. I do count the workshop,
> because space is limited and that's revenue forgone.
>
> If we do decide to offer a scholarship, I'd like to be targeted at women
> and minorities. If we do offer more than one, I'd like to set aside at
> least 50% of them for women and minorities.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Darrell

Kristin Bott
Instructional Technologist / Quantitative Applications
Instructional Technology Services (ITS)
Reed College

ETC 225
503/788-6642