[foss4g2014] Scholarships

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sun Feb 9 23:21:11 PST 2014

> And frankly, given that OSGeo's primary source of funding is this conference, it may be a distinction without a difference to define whether the funds come from FOSS4G or from OSGeo.

This is the underlying tension, how much should OSGeo/FOSS4G be
(in)directly supporting development, projects, users, etc?  As opposed
to how much should developers, users, etc be (in)directly supporting
OSGeo/FOSS4G?  FOSS4G proceeds returning to OSGeo, grants for
attendance, and registration price are all affecting this balance.  It
does not answer what this balance should be.  The tried and true
approach to this (based on previous years), is to slosh the bucket
around, receive a lot of passionate criticism, not really resolve
anything and pass it to next year.  My suggestion was to not slosh the
bucket and have the bucket holder (OSGeo Board, Conference committee
and maybe Education committee too) already very clearly identified for
when that passionate criticism arrives.

Sloshing the bucket is fun too.  It is an important issue.

Eli