[foss4g2014] Setting Conference Pricing

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Thu Feb 20 13:01:25 PST 2014

> Eli brings up a good point. Are we already locked in to the OCC catering at this point (i.e. what's the contract say)? Whatever alternative options we come up with, would we still be stuck with a buyout to some degree or another?

Sort of.

It says:

"Food and Beverage Service: The Commission’s food and beverage service concessionaire is solely authorized to provide all food and beverage services at the Center. Licensee acknowledges that ARAMARK/Giacometti Partners LTD. is the sole food and beverage provider for the Center. Licensee shall sign a catering agreement with ARAMARK/Giacometti Partners LTD within 30 business days prior to the event and shall make all required deposits to the Oregon Convention Center within the timeframe required in the catering agreement. No Licensee or exhibitor may dispense any food or beverage samples from exhibits, booths or any other areas within the Center without the prior written permission of the OCC Executive Director. Exhibitors having the need to distribute food or beverage samples unrelated to their business shall order these items from ARAMARK/Giacometti Partners LTD. Any failure by Licensee to comply with any requirement in this subparagraph may be considered by the Commission to be a default under this Agreement.”

We were always going to have some catering, so that’s not the issue. It’s just the amount of catering that we’re discussing.

But as Beth pointed out, we have to be careful if we were to try to involve anyone else. That being said, for the reasons I outlined before, I don’t think bringing in carts is actually a viable alternative. So it’s really “Catering or your on your own”.

Darrell