[FOSS4G2016] suggestion to organize an OSGeo Hacking Event before FOSS4G 2016 in Basecamp

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Wed Aug 26 06:10:41 PDT 2015

Astrid,

I talked to Uli yesterday. First thing before blocking Basecamp is,
that we have - as you say - to ensure, that possible financial lackings
of that Hacking Event don't fall back to the conference budget.
That's because I think, that in the end attendees of FOSS4G shouldn't
pay for that in any case. We can organize this - but not pay for that.

We can get basecamp facility for free, if we cover *all* overnights.
And yes, we have to pay for not covered beds. So first, I'd like you to
talk to Basecamp directly and do kind of "pre-reservation" for these two
days and ask, until when they need a definite "yes" or "no".

Doing so we win some time to get the rest fixed. Uli wanted to talk to
the projects, whether they can backup potential losses. I also think
that the hacking event might be - at least partwise - covered by
sponsorships from OSGeo and also FOSSGIS itself. So you should put a
request for that to the FOSSGIS board (and I promise to get that in
motion quickly ;-)) and do the same with OSGeo.

I also will ask Mrs. Zepp from Bonn Tourismus, how we proceed, when we
add BONNOX on the list, might be they want to delete other facilities
from the list. I try to do that tomorrow.

So far, Till

Am 2015-08-26 11:37, schrieb Astrid Emde (FOSSGIS e.V.):
> Hi,
>
> Am 2015-08-24 08:18, schrieb till.adams at fossgis.de:
>> Astrid,
>> I like this idea so from my point of view, go ahead!
>
> ok. We will. Uli Rothstein is part of the team. We already organize
> the FOSS4G Hacking at saturday after the FOSS4G. So we are fine with
> another event.
>
>> One thing is very important: Please do not go ahead with blocking
>> any
>> overnight facility on your own. If we also want to add BONNOX onto
>> our
>> hotel list, I'd prefer to co-ordinate this with Bonn Tourismus, as
>> they already have a list with blocked hotels (BONNOX is not on this
>> list yet). Going this way, we keep on with a very good cooperation
>> with the city and also everybody booking over Bonn Tourismus later
>> will get a free public transport ticket for the full staying time.
>> I can coordinate this with Bonn Tourismus, if you give me the exact
>> dates.
>
> @Till - could you add BONNOX to our hotel list. It would be a nice
> place as it is close to the FOSS4G venue and Hacking venue too.
>
> @Till - we also have to block basecamp for the weekend before FOSS4G
> too. Can you do this (friday to Sunday)
>
> We also have to discuss what we do, if not enough people will come to
> the OSGeo Hacking event so that not all beds are booked. Do we have
> pay that?
>
> Uli will  be at the next Stammtisch, so you can discuss this further.
>
> Schönen Gruß
>
> Astrid Emde
>
>> So far, Till
>>

>> Am 2015-08-22 19:03, schrieb Astrid Emde (FOSSGIS e.V.):
>>> Hello,
>>> we could organize an OSGeo Hacking at the weekend before the
>>> conference. GRASS project and QGIS project are interested (I asked
>>> them in Como at FOSS4G Europe). Maybe some FOSSGIS/OSM folks would
>>> come too.
>>> We could block the basecamp & BONNOX for the weekend before too.
>>> Like
>>> this the basecamp would be automatically populated by active OSGeo
>>> people. If there are no other plans we could also provide basecamp
>>> as
>>> a meeting point/hacking place for monday and tuesday before the
>>> conference.
>>> Sponsoring
>>> We could look for a sponsoring to pay for dinks, food and maybe
>>> reduce
>>> the price for rooms for the participants.
>>> Basecamp
>>> * http://www.basecamp-bonn.de/
>>> * around 80 persons, when they share a caravan
>>> BONNOX Nearby Hotel (on the other side of the road)
>>> * http://www.bonnox.de/de/
>>> * Betten?
>>> I would like discuss this idea.
>>> I really like the idea of the OSGeo Hacking at FOSS4G2016! So +1
>>> from
>>> me.