[FOSS4G2016] Reminder: Today - FOSSGIS / OSM "Stammtisch" Wednesday 1st of July 2015

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Fri Jul 3 03:34:07 PDT 2015

Jeff,

that's interesting news. Nearly the same happened here in Germany, when
we renamed our conference from "UMN MapServer meeting" to FOSSGIS and in
the same year, we changed our club name from GRASS Anwendervereinigung
e.V. (GAV. e.V.) to FOSSGIS e.V., and again Markus was invloved, at
least as co-founder of GAV e.V.. So also UMN and GRASS tribes came
together here ;-)
And of course, it's not only three people, but was the same here:
Arnulf, Torsten and me had an evening in "namenlos2 and the idea of a
german UMN conference came up ;-) If not we, others would have done this

Okay, no matter. I'd thought of an event in the opening/closing anayway
to get as much former chairs on stage as possible. So we plan one "10
years of FOSS4G event" - maybe in connection to Soul Cats Award in the
closing and we go on to advertise Bonn 2016 as "10th FOSS4G conference".

So far, Till

Am 2015-07-02 16:20, schrieb Jeff McKenna:
> Till, let me respond to this in a different way:
>
> Both Venka and Markus did not attend FOSS4G Portland.
>
> There was also a FOSS4G-Asia event this past December in Bangkok,
> where the 10 years of FOSS4G was also mentioned (but unfortunately
> Markus could not attend it).
>
> So, Bonn 2016 will indeed be a wonderful way to celebrate 10 years of
> FOSS4G, getting everyone together again :)  [imagine bringing Venka
> and Markus and I on stage there to thank the entire FOSS4G community
> for 10 years)
>
> Not that FOSS4G is about any 1 or 3 individuals, it is not, but, it
> could be a great way to celebrate all together.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2015-07-02 11:13 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Hi Till, Gert-Jan,
>>
>> Yes indeed, confusion.
>>
>> Some history:
>>
>> - FOSS4G was first coined as a term in 2004, and the first ever
>> conference to use the FOSS4G name was in 2004 in Bangkok
>> - it was at that Bangkok event where Venka, Markus and I met, and we
>> came up with the idea/plan to merge the existing GRASS users
>> conference
>> and the MapServer users conference, into an annual FOSS4G event
>> - the 1st FOSS4G event, hosted by OSGeo, with various communities
>> involved, was then held in 2006, as Till noted
>> - the 2014 event promoted itself as 10 years of FOSS4G, as Gert-Jan
>> noted
>>
>> So, true, it is confusing.  But I think yes, yes, we should market
>> this
>> as 10 years since FOSS4G Lausanne. (most are not aware of the 2004
>> Bangkok event, as only a couple representatives from GRASS and
>> MapServer
>> attended it)
>>
>> I am all for promoting 2016 as 10 years of FOSS4G.   It really is,
>> in
>> many ways.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2015-07-02 4:21 AM, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> there is one issue, I'd like to discuss with you  before we go out
>>> with
>>> that.
>>>
>>> In my counts we have 10th FOSS4G - that one in 2012 was missed, so
>>> the
>>> history is:
>>>
>>> 1. Lausanne
>>> 2. Victoria