[FOSS4G2016] A postcard for promoting the conference on print media

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jul 6 04:35:23 PDT 2015

Hi Anton, all,

A reminder to check in all of your documents (logos, postcards, raw
Illustrator files, html files, everything) into Subversion:
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/2016/

Unfortunately I see lots of logos and webpages and designs being
created, sent around by email, but not being saved into SVN (not a
single person has done this yet for 2016).

Doing this is a great way to archive files and also help future FOSS4G
local committees use those files.

Ping me directly if you need write access to that SVN.

-jeff

On 2015-07-05 8:30 PM, anton at foss4g2016.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> thanks for all your valuable inputs!
>
> So I tried my hands on the postcard... The current heat wave in germany
> did its best to rob me of my creativity. But anyway, since time is
> running out for them to be printed for Como... here is what I did: [1].
>
> The images should fit nicely on a postcard format (DIN A6) at a
> resolution of 300 dots per inch. The printing quality will be a
> surprise, I'm afraid, since I have no printing capabilities here. Maybe
> someone can make a quick test print before a few hundred failures get out?
>
> For the front, I guess 'front-05' is best, since it resamples the
> website a little.
>
> The backs are almost identical (*-nobg.png means without a dim photo
> background) and should have enough space to write friendly messages on
> it =).
> I kind of like the idea of back-02*'s 'See you in Bonn'. The message
> could be replaced by something else for a later version.
> back-02* use the 'Luna Bar' font [2], which is not really free ($ 10)
> and will have to be replaced by a real handwriting or a
> free_as_in_freedom font (I'll look into that soon). Otherwise I took
> only the fonts and photo used on the website [3].
>
> Which brings up an interesting issue: copyrights.
> At the last FOSSGIS-hacking-weekend in Essen I talked to the
> Küstenschmiede-guys. They said that they purchased a license of the
> photos (from [4], I think) and the font 'digital sans' used in the logo.
> Does that mean that these resources must be re-licensed by OSGeo or
> $someone_else or is there anything like a license-inheritance? I mean,
> $we (not necessarily Küstenschmiede) will have to create different other
> things with these. Any thoughts about that?
>
> To be honest, I find something to nag about on each of the designs...
> Anyway, tell me what you think. Which one do you like or dislike?
> I'm always open to suggestions and harsh criticism =)
>
> Have a nice start into the new week!
> ~ Anton
>
> [1] http://antonpopov.de/foss4g-2016/postcard/
> [2] http://www.dafont.com/luna-bar.font