[FOSS4G2016] Webpage and Logo

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Tue Jun 30 11:51:12 PDT 2015

Till, Matthias, Dennis,

Apparently I missed a junction ("Ausfahrt") along the Autobahn ... the
FOSSGIS hacking weekend in Essen.
I didn't realize FOSS4G-2016 was such an main theme at the FOSSGIS hacking
event, otherwise I'd shown up in the Linux Hotel. (hey, the grill-buffet
looked great!)
Tomorrow's "Stammtisch" in Bonn will take place without me as well. We'll
meet in Como

Anyway....:

About the logo:
I knew about the first logo (designed by Dennis Hellmich).
Is the new logo (by Matthias, as can be seen on http://2016.foss4g.org/) the
definitive successor of Dennis' logo?

About the website:
Hereby my dozen thoughts on the current design (http://2016.foss4g.org/ as
of 30th June, 18.00). Some minor, some major.
As always intended as positive criticism!

1. I really like the professional style of the design. Not just a "extended
wiki-page", but a real design!
2. I'd rather have some clue added what FOSS4G is about. Part of our
potential audience doesn't know what FOSS4G is.
   At first sight that part of the audience might think: "must be something
about freight shipping. A container company perhaps? ;-)
3. Somehow add a reference to 10 years of FOSS4G
4. A subtitle like "Celebrating 10 years of free and open source geospatial
software" might help on both 2) and 3)
5. The front page focuses on the location (Rhine, Bonn). To me, FOSS4G is
about bringing the people together.
6. At least until the end of FOSS4G-2015 a temporal reference to the
2015-site
7. Something in order to make clear this in work-in-progress. E.g. cover the
frontpage partly behind a scaffold, or a Pink Floyd - The Wall-like design
8. The "welcome to Germany addition" seems a bit out of place. Is it for
those who don't know Bonn is in Germany?
   If this addition is needed, why not include the text "Germany" in the
logo itself: the text would then read something like: Bonn - Germany -
August 2016
9. Is it useful to make 2 versions of the logo: an short one (with just the
graphics) and a long one (including the text Bonn - Germany - august, 22. -
27.  2016
10. "August 22th - 27th" should read "August 22nd - 27th". Or even better:
22nd - 27th August (which is more European-English style, as opposed to the
American style with month in advance)
11. Regarding the dates: I tend to use the core-conference dates as the main
dates to show, and to use  extra lines for the pre-conf workshops and
post-conference sprints
12. Add an "about"-entry in the menu: "about FOSS4G", "about FOSSGIS",
"about OSGeo.org", "about Bonn", "about you"

As stated, I wasn't at the FOSSGIS hacking weekend, so perhaps several
points mentioned here are already thoroughly discussed there. Let it be.
However, I will be at the Dutch OSGeo.nl hacking day (4th July, in Enschede)
where I would like to show the current design to a non-German audience.

Final thought:
@Matthias: are you in charge for all design issues for FOSS4G-2016. Or just
for the website (and logo) for now?

Regards,