[FOSS4G2016] FOSS4G2016 travel grants

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Sun Apr 10 02:32:28 PDT 2016

Dear LOC!

Looks like we get some problem with our plans regarding the travel
grants. On the one side Christoph did a lot of efforts to collect some
money from various organisations, but looks like this is hard to
realize. Not to say, that we give up here, but it looks not really
promising (Christoph, I know there is an open request about our Google
point of contact - I'll look in the sponsorship sheet and sent it to you
ASAP).
On the other side there is the discussion with the board about backin
up us 10k € for the travel grant which does not really go straight
forward. I just sent an email and requested for an urgent decision.

Don't know really how to proceed in case that we won't get a clear
signal from the board soon, although I indicated the pressure here.

Anyhow. Last year LOC gave the possibility to attendees to donate some
more money while registering which then was used for the travel grant
programme. After long discussions wqith our PCO, who supplies the
registering system, we decided to swap that from there. The fact that we
have to issue invoices with two different tax rates (7% / 19%) is
complicated enough for them. What we, FOSSGIs e.V. have is a Paypal
account where people can easily donate money to and I think we should
use that and also publish our "Call for stock up the travel grant
programme". This could be released in our press releases and we also can
twitter this - so I see the chance to collect money is even better,
because nobody has to ask his/her boss when paying for the conference
about donating. We also can issue donation receipts from FOSSGIS, as we
are a nonprofit organisation.

For this I created  ticket: http://foss4g2016.org/redmine/issues/290

Till